Following on from the exciting announcement that Airbourne is set to make a much anticipated return in 2022, organisers have now revealed Eastbourne and District Samaritans as the airshow’s People’s Charity choice for 2022, topping the public vote which took place pre-pandemic.

The Eastbourne based charity will be one of three chosen charities assisting in the daily bucket collections at this year’s airshow, alongside the Rotary charities of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) Eastbourne Station and the Children with Cancer Fund, chosen by members of the Sovereign Harbour Rotary Club and Hailsham Rotary Club. Both rotary clubs manage the collection with over 200 buckets out and about across the town during the four days of the airshow, with the three charities between them receiving a share of 30% of all donations received.

Councillor Margaret Bannister, Lead Cabinet Member for Tourism and Culture said “I am pleased that, once again, a popular local charity has been voted for by the people of Eastbourne.  The Council looks forward to working with Eastbourne & District Samaritans, as well as Rotary’s chosen charities, later in the year, during Airbourne.

The support of these charities means that they will receive essential donations and also help ensure Airbourne returns for another year.

The bucket collection has become integral in securing a vibrant flying programme at the airshow, with 70% of donations helping to fund the flying displays and the remaining 30% of donations being split between three local charities, all of whom support the show with volunteer collectors.

Sonia Caprari Dabbs, Deputy Director of Branch Marketing at Eastbourne and District Samaritans said “Eastbourne and District Samaritans would like to say a huge thank you to all the Herald readers who voted for us to be the Airbourne People’s Charity 2020. It’s hard to believe that two years have passed since then.

Being the Airbourne People’s Charity will be an invaluable contribution in helping us to support people who find themselves in deep distress and are struggling to cope. Everyone in our branch is a volunteer so fundraising is an important part of our work so that we can keep our branch open, to provide training for new volunteers and to support our community.”

A spokesperson for Sovereign Harbour Rotary Club said, “Sovereign Harbour Rotary Club has been in operation for more than 10 years now and one of it’s functions is to raise money for the benefit of local charities.

“For several years now we have worked in conjunction with Eastbourne Borough Council on Airbourne in support of their charity support. Airbourne is a fantastic event for the community of Eastbourne and we are hoping that it will continue after this year.

The charity we are supporting is the Royal National Lifeboat Association – Eastbourne who do a brilliant job around our coast. In recent years the local community of Eastbourne have been amazing in their support of Airbourne and I sincerely hope that this will be the case again this year.

A spokesperson for Hailsham Rotary Club said, “Hailsham Rotary Club has been involved with Airbourne since its inception and this year we are very happy to have Children with Cancer Fund as our chosen charity.

Each year when we are involved with Airbourne we select a local charity that we feel is deserving and they don’t come more deserving than CWFC.

Airbourne, Eastbourne International Airshow returns over the 18th-21st August 2022.