Image (c) Liam Shaw/Imperial War Museum
From the 27th December to the 20th February, the Imperial War Museum Duxford is hosting a special exhibtion featuring 12 Spitfires – “Spitfire: Evolution of an Icon.” The exhibtion will celebrate how this aircraft captured the hearts of the home front and became synonymous with the hope and protection of the British Isles. As part of the exhibtion, a number of supporting events are being held. The finale will be “Duxford In a Different Light – The Spitfire Special” on Saturday 19th February, a photography night-shoot dedicated to the most iconic aircraft in British aviation history.
Attendees will enjoy the opportunity to photograph the 12 Spitfires up close in the third event of the ‘Duxford In a Different Light’ series. Using innovative lighting techniques, the aircraft from the ‘Spitfire: Evolution of an Icon’ exhibition will be illuminated to create evocative opportunities for your photographs.
The aircraft lined up for the event include:-
- Spitfire Mk.1a N3200 – Imperial War Museums
- Spitfire Mk.1a AR213 – Comanche Fighters
- Spitfire Mk.Vb BM597 – Historic Aircraft Collection
- Spitfire Mk.Vb EP120 – The Fighter Collection
- Spitfire Mk.Vc JG891 – Comanche Fighters
- Spitfire Mk.VIII MV154 – Max Alpha
- Spitfire Mk.IXb MH434 – Old Flying Machine Company
- Spitfire Mk.IXT PT462 – Aircraft Restoration Company
- Spitfire Mk.IXT PV202 – Aircraft Restoration Company
- Spitfire PX.XI PL983 – Aircraft Restoration Company
- Spitfire MK.XIV MV293 – Anglia Aircraft Restorations
- Spitfire Mk.XIV RN201 – Aerial Speed Icons Ltd
As well as the fantastic array of Spitfires, the aircraft and exhibits inside the main display space will also be lit up to allow you to capture some of Duxford’s incredible collection of British and Commonwealth aircraft in a different light.
For more information and to book tickets, visit https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/duxford-in-a-different-light-the-spitfire-special